Everyone’s recipe lists have recipes with names like Jane’s apple pie, aunt Betty’s rice etc.
So to celebrate the winter that has arrived, I decided to go back in time 20 years to Ronen’s tomato soup. it is the type of recipe that consists of many ingredients, but few quantities or any exact measurements – so please accept my apologies 🙂
Ingredients (for soup)
– 2 medium sized onions – finely chopped
– 1 small hot red pepper / ground white pepper
– Olive oil
– 1 can crushed tomatoes + 3 fresh tomatoes (or 6 fresh ones)
– 2 tbsp. soup powder
– Salt (tbsp. or less)
– Water as needed
– ½ a ground nutmeg (or less)
– A little sugar (no more than 1 tbsp.)
– ½ cup of rice
– 250 ml rich cooking cream (or less)
Ingredients (for serving)
– Fresh basil leaves
– Olive oil
– Grated cheese (in a serving bowl)
– Croutons (in a serving bowl)
1. In a large saucepan, fry the onion & pepper in the butter & oil.
2. Chop all the tomatoes in the blender, add to the onion and bring to the boil.
3. Add the soup powder, salt, water, nutmeg and sugar and cook for 15 min.
4. Add the rice and cook for a long time until tasty.
5. Add the cream 10 min. before serving.
6. Serve in bowls and decorate with basil leaves & olive oil.
This post is also available in: Hebrew